Rhode Island is among the earliest states to gain statehood in the U.S. In its case, the position would be 13th. The legalization happened on May 29, 1790. The capital city of Rhode Island is Providence.
As you can probably guess, the state is also known as the ocean state because of the collection of oceans surrounding it. The state bird of Rhode Island has a close connection to the name of the state. That certainly narrows down the possibility to specific one bird species, right? So what is the Rhode Island state bird??
What is the state bird of Rhode Island?
The official Rhode Island state bird was designated in 1954. Winning by overwhelming sponsorship from various societies, it is none other than the Rhode Island Red Chicken. Yes, a red chicken, but considering it is called Rhode Island Red chicken, you might be able to guess why it is revered a little more than others.
What makes the state bird of Rhode Island unusual?
Well, the most unusual thing about the Rhode Island Red chicken is that it is actually a specific chicken breed.
In the middle of the 1840s, they were created in Rhode Island, Massachusetts. It is a dual-purpose chicken breed. They give good eggs, but one can raise them for both eggs and meat.
They are actually show-birds as well. Among the backyard flocks, they are the most popular breed of chickens. It is from Malay that the Rhode Island chicken breed got the deep red color along with hard feathers and a sturdy constitution.
GET KIDS BIRD WATCHING
- Kids Bird Watching Entry Level Monthly Subscription$7.00 / month
- Kids Bird Watching Starter Pack Subscription$10.00 / month and a $19.00 sign-up fee
Rhode Island state bird facts
Let’s learn some facts about the Rhode Island state bird – a particular breed of chicken!
1. Even though they are completely red, their feet and legs might turn out to be yellow sometimes. The toes might have some bits of red. Their actual skin is yellow. As they are covered in feathers, and the feather is red-colored, it is what they are known for.
2. The Rhode Island Red Chicken is a calm and docile species. Sometimes, though, they can get just the tiniest bit aggressive. It is very rare, though.
Once can keep them confined or keep them free. You don’t really have to worry about the birds disrupting anything.
3. Oddly enough, they can be a little mean towards other birds. They are also known to be weirdly loud at times.
Though, the loudness is very rare and occasional. The chickens are also actually a little bossy, especially towards other bird species.
If you want to see the Rhode Island Red Chicken, you will simply have to visit Rhode Island. Of course, most people aren’t usually interested in chickens. So, it’s understandable if it doesn’t raise your curiosity.
However, since the Governor of that time remarked on how the Red Chicken is like a symbol for Rhode Island all over the world, you will see how the Red Chicken is unexpectedly important to them.